Internships

k. petroleum inc

Over the summer of 2015, I was hired to K. Petroleum Inc. to be an intern for the summer.

I was hired to learn the ins and outs of the industry during the merger and acquisition of another company. Over the summer I dealt with many different tasks related to the Petroleum industry. K. Petroleum specializes in natural gas wells in many different states, which include, but are not limited to, Kentucky, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, New York. During the acquisition, the company expanded its business into three new states, and I was exposed to all of the paperwork and communications with government entities of other states in order to gain permission to sell and purchase gas in these states. I was also exposed to  the programs that are used in industry to manage well data and royalty records. I dealt with countless royalty owners and customers, and worked with those who manage the machines we operate during our daily business. I spent one day flying with the CEO of K. Petroleum where he showed me on site experiences and the daily tasks of numerous employees, during this time I also was introduced to industry workers from other companies who explained to me what they do everyday, and how it all works together in the industry.

After the internship, I wrote a reflection paper of my time at K. Petroleum as requested by Mr. Khorrami, and this included how it really opened by eyes to the petroleum industry, and made me reflect to see that this industry was not for me. In the fall of 2015, I made the transition to a mathematics major, and I haven’t looked back since.