Is Cloud Computing killing Microsoft’s Office? July 19th, 2013

Alston

As described in the article, the author emphasizes on his point that the main difference between Google Drive, an example of cloud computing, and Microsoft Office is that the former is focused on data and the latter is a software only.

At this point, we cannot deny that the concept of Google Drive is actually more advanced than that of Microsoft Office. Also, I admit that this advantage may pose the biggest threat to Microsoft ’ s dominance. But I do NOT agree to the viewpoint that cloud computing will totally kill Microsoft ’ s Office, because being advanced does not necessarily mean Google Drive does better in every occasion.

First, Google Drive highly depends on internet access. This is mentioned in the textbook that cloud computing requires “ u biquitous network access” (pg. 183). That is, the users cannot even access to it when the internet access is unavailable or poor. Even if Google may provide offline client of Google Drive, I do not think the offline version will perform better than Microsoft Office. Based on my own experience of using Google Drive, I was suffered from the problem of my internet access, because the internet environment in China is not that compatible with Google. Therefore, I had to spend tons of time on refreshing the web page again and again.

Second, I think the main enemy against Google Drive and other cloud computing products is cloud storage products, other than Microsoft Office. Because the cloud storage is only a part of cloud computing and cloud computing provides processed data, while cloud storage is storing data only. Microsoft Office is not a cloud storage product. It is a data processing software. This means Microsoft Office will be more professional on data processing and this feature cannot be totally substituted by cloud computing.

Third, as described in the textbook, “ c loud computing has some drawbacks. ..Some companies worry about the security risks related to entrusting their critical data and systems to an outside vendor that also works with other companies. There are also questions of system reliability. Companies expect their systems to be available 24/7 and do not want to suffer any loss of business capability if their IT infrastructures malfunction ” (pg. 184). At some extent, cloud computing is anti- diversification of computing, just as put all the eggs in one busket. Although this way is better for data sharing and collaboration, the highly integrated system will be suffered from a big loss when a small problem occurs.

Therefore, I conform the power of cloud computing and it will be the trend of IT. Although development of cloud computing may challenge Microsoft ’ s dominance, I sill do not think cloud computing will kill the Microsoft Office.

Tags: ,

This entry was posted on Friday, July 19th, 2013 at 10:57 and is filed under MIS. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.