B0: Where Am I Wearing?

Vlad Bennett

Professor Wang

Information Technology

9/8/2013

Where Am I Wearing

Without hesitation, I know what kind of consumer I am. My buying habits portray a conscientious shopper. I always give great thought into what I buy no matter the price. Years ago, when Affliction shirts were very artistic and goth inspired I become a ravaged consumer of their products. Buying $80 shirts become the normal and I acquired many (more than 30 including jackets and long sleeve) before they “sold out” and become very mainstream in society. Now you can buy an Affliction for $40 or $50 and has absolutely no thought into whatsoever. But recently my shirts and jeans or cargo shorts come from either Volcom or Express. I only buy the ones I find have some artistic nature and they have to be extremely soft. But these are really my winter clothes or for special occasions. I dress for the weather. So in the summer time, I usually wear Nike and Under Armor lose fitting athletic clothes during the day.

At the moment, I am wearing my Marietta football shirt given to me by the team. It came from Nicaragua and it was made by C2 Sport; so says the tag. When I entered C2 Sport in GoodGuide.com no results were found. So I tried another shirt, which was a Nike shirt. It was made in China. Nike’s overall score is a 6.8 according to GoodGuide.com and the environment score was a 7.4 and the society score was a 6.3 which didn’t surprise me in the least. The health score was not applicable.

After reading the book and understanding the author’s very clear argument. I still don’t care more than I did before reading this. I understand that sweatshops are bad and I understand exactly what the author is getting at. But paragraphs like “I’ve always been ashamed that I gave him the shirt I was wearing and posed shirtless beside him. It’s something that I thought if I could go back I wouldn’t do, because it aptly reflected the shallowness of my false start. That was until I discovered that if it weren’t for the complete silliness of my giving him my T-shirt, he wouldn’t have remembered me at all. (page 239, paragraph 3)” never seem to reflect on me. Maybe it’s because I haven’t experienced anything like he has. I have not done the research and I have not gave a single once of thought into the matter.

“And unfortunately, it’s true; most of us don’t care. We just shop mindlessly, basing our decisions on whatever fashion sensibilities we have and whatever we can afford. But I strongly believe that we could care, and that we would care—if we can bridge the divide between producer and consumer. Allow me to introduce you to iPhone girl. (page 254, paragraph 3)” I drive to the mall in my Cadillac then I walk around at the mall and look for clothes that I think deserve to be bought (with my parents money) and play on my iPhone. I live well off in a first world country. I realize the world suffers a worse fate than that of my own. But until I experience something similar to those people, I will never care. Even if I were to be on welfare, my life would still be 1000 times better than struggling others. It’s just too hard to relate.

“The apparel industry has a lot of issues, including child labor and sweatshops, but these are all just symptoms of the real problem: poverty. (page 252, paragraph 4)” poverty is rampant in the poorer nations. But nothing I can do will save these people. Their will always be rich and poor in any society. Even communist societies, have rich and poor. Those who rule and those who serve. But if people were to protest these unfair child labor and sweatshops and they somehow succeeded and had all clothing made in the red, white, and blue. Prices would sky rocket and you’ll just make us as a country much more poor. Indeed, you would be employing many Americans who need jobs but the cons outweigh the pros. Especially in our society built on greed. I will ignore the positive effects and I highly doubt change will be made on campus for many reasons: many college kids are stressed for cash and/or too busy will class work.

Sources

1. Timmerman, Kelsey. Where Am I Wearing? Hoboken, New Jersey. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2012.

Sunday, September 8th, 2013 Uncategorized